[R] model selection, lme

Kay Cichini Kay.Cichini at uibk.ac.at
Wed Apr 28 11:55:49 CEST 2010

hello,

i'd like to evaluate the 2 factors (f1 with 4, f2 with 2 levels) and its
interactions in my model for writing up a summary table with
likelihood-ratio tests for publication purpose.

now i'm unsure about which terms of my model may be dropped from the full
model and which not.

mfull<-lme(resp~f1*f2,random=...)
m1<-lme(resp~f1+f2,..)
m2<-lme(resp~f1,..)
m3<-lme(resp~f2,..)

i compared each model with dropped terms with the full model, but is this
allowed for m2 and m3?
or would i rather have to sequentially compare mfull/m1,m1/m2,m1/m3.

i'd very much appreciate help with this.
it may be a trivial problem - but though i could not figure out.

thanks in advance,
kay

-----