[R] Lognormal distribution - Range Factor

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Sun Aug 1 20:20:37 CEST 2010

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk wrote:

> On 01-Aug-10 10:59:03, Tims Corbett wrote:
>> Hi, What does it mean to say Lognormal distribution with a mean of
>> 1.03E-6 with a range factor of 100 ? How can I find the lognormal
>> distribution paramters from this information?
>>
>> Thanks, Tims
>
> If you can, please say what is meant by "range factor". I have seen
> it used to denote the ratio maximum/minimum for a sample, but it
> might be intended to mean something else in the context of your
> question.

Tim, you should learn to use Google to answer this question instead of
sending postings like this to lots of differnt mailing lists.

Googling

 	lognormal "range factor"

easily turns up the definition of range factor as a function of the
quantiles of the distribution.

FWIW, "Range factor" looks like a term of art used in certain circles.

RSiteSearch'ing (or just "??lognormal", for crying out loud!) turns up
everything else needed to answer this, viz the R functions to find the
quantiles, and even the relation between the mean of the lognormal and its
parameters.

I think a little bit of algebra makes it possible to solve this directly
from tables of the normal (or lognormal) even without having to resort to
uniroot().

Is this homework?

HTH,

Chuck

p.s. can the posting guide advise that OT questions like this be preceeded
by a suitable amount of Googling before coming here??