[R] Collinearity in Moderated Multiple Regression

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Aug 3 17:04:12 CEST 2010

If the collinearity you're seeing arose from the addition of a product
(interaction) term, I do not think penalization is the best answer.
What is the goal of your analysis?  If it's prediction, then I wouldn't
worry about this type of collinearity.  If you're interested in
inference, I'd try some transformation to reduce (but not necessarily
eliminate) the effect of collinearity.  Mean centering is the simplest,
but not the only thing you can do.

Just my $0.02...

Andy