[R] About installing R package

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 17:48:54 CEST 2010

Hi folks,

CPU - AMD X4 955
Onboard RAM - 8G

I'm prepared to learn R and am going to install R package on 64 bit Windows
running as VM (guest) on Oracle VituralBox.  Please advise

1) I have 64 bit Win7 and Win Server 2008 R2 running as VM on VirtualBox.  Which
version of Windows will be more suitable for running R?  Win7 Or Win Server 2008
R2 ?

2) What will be the min physical RAM to be assigned to the OS for running R?

3) Additionally I'm also prepared install another R on a VM running 64 bit
Ubuntu 10.04.  Is there any min physical RAM requirement? Of Debian 5.04 and
Ubuntu 10.04 which of them will be more suitable for running R?

TIA

B.R.
Stephen L