[R] limits of a data frame size for reading into R

Dimitri Liakhovitski dimitri.liakhovitski at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 19:10:16 CEST 2010

I understand the question I am about to ask is rather vague and
depends on the task and my PC memory. However, I'll give it a try:

Let's assume the goal is just to read in the data frame into R and
then do some simple analyses with it (e.g., multiple regression of
some variables onto some - just a few - variables).

Is there a limit to the number of columns of a data frame that R can
handle? I am asking because where I work many use SAS and they are
running into the limit of >~13,700columns there.

Since I am asking - is there a limit to the number of rows?

Or is the correct way of asking the question: my PC's memory is X. The
.txt tab-delimited file I am trying to read in has the size of YYY Mb,
can I read it in?

Thanks a lot!

--
Dimitri Liakhovitski