[R] how to read/save .zip compressed files from R?

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Tue Aug 3 23:46:08 CEST 2010

Quoting Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>:

> In the way you describe it, no.
>
> A) There is no such thing as a "zip folder". You are most likely
> being fooled by the visual presentation of zip files in Windows
> Explorer, which automatically simulates it as a  folder, when it is
> really extracting bits of data as needed to display it.
>
> B) Because the data must be decompressed to be manipulated, there is
>  no performance or disk space advantage to creating a facility such
> as you describe, though thee may be a convenience factor if you do
> it a lot.

I will be doing a lot, that's why I wanted to automate it and since I
can use R I was wondering.

I'm using a software for displaying protein interactions as a network
of configurable nodes and edges. I have created my interaction maps
and attributes etc using R, then using the software for visualisation.
It allows me to see the network, colour-coded, and I can display all
sorts of interesting parameters of my choice. The software saves the
session in what seems to be nothing but a .zip file under a made up
extension name.
I can send these "all-encompassing" files to my collaborators and they
can see the networks I have created, and further filter and explore
using some simple menus the software provides.

The software has a small bug affecting the order of the annotation
columns it displays, and I tracked it down to one of the files it
saves within the .zip. I can alter the file so that the session opens
as I intend. It's a simple change to make. But I need to do it with
every file everytime I alter something and save it.

I do not have the ability to fix the bug itself, so until then I
figured it'd be good to have a little script that I can run to do that
for me.

> C) There is a function zip.file.extract() in R for extraction, but I
>  don't see a zip compression function, so you will need to use
> external programs, perhaps executed using the "system" function, to
> generate updated zip files.

thank you, I will check that.

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6507095
Alternative email: nach.mcnach at gmail.com