[R] xlsx package

array chip arrayprofile at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 01:41:50 CEST 2010

HI, I was trying to install xlsx package for reading in Excel 2007 files. The
installation went smoothly. But when I tried to load the library, I got the
following error message:

> library(xlsx)
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'xlsxjars', details:
  call: .jinit()
  error: cannot obtain Class.getSimpleName method ID
Error: package 'xlsxjars' could not be loaded

The help page of the xlsx package has a note "NOTE: You may need to add to your
PATH variable the location of your JVM  (e.g. C:/Program
Files/Java/jre6/bin/client) to get rJava working.  "

I did add that to the PATH variable using:

> Sys.setenv(PATH=paste(Sys.getenv("PATH"),"C:\\Program
>Files\\Java\\jre6\\bin\\client",collapse=';'))

But the error still persists. Any suggestions?

Thanks

John