[R] printing html help to the terminal

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 21:44:42 CEST 2010

On 04/08/2010 2:40 PM, Michael Lachmann wrote:
> I just tried it under OSX and linux, and both get stuck. Maybe R on windows
> forks the R help server?

It doesn't fork, but it might run in another thread.

> But what you suggested works perfectly. Thanks!
>
> Do you by chance know if there was something equivalent in R 2.10.x and/or
> 2.9.x

I believe similar code will work in 2.10.x, which was when the new help
system was introduced.  The .getHelpFile function isn't there, but I
believe if you just
copy it from 2.11.1 into 2.10.x, it will work.

In 2.9.x you actually have copies of the HTML files on disk.  You can
probably play with unclass(?topic) to construct the path to one.  (I'm
on a relatively new machine here, with nothing older than 2.10.1 installed.)

Duncan Murdoch