[R] Finding the right url for RCurl

AndrewPage savejarvis at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 20:54:40 CEST 2010

Thanks for the help so far-- one interesting thing about this particular page
is that the data displayed on the website actually differs from the data you
can access with the "download" link.  The XML package command works, but the
table it produces in R has the following column names:

> x1 =
> readHTMLTable("http://www.invescopowershares.com/products/holdings.aspx?ticker=PGX",
> which
+ = 13, header = TRUE)
> colnames(x1)
[1] ""              "Coupon Rate"   "Maturity Date" "Ratingâ\u0080" "%
Weight"
Warning message:
it is not known that wchar_t is Unicode on this platform

.... whereas the .csv file you can get with the link has 8 columns,
including a "PositionDate" column, a "Shares" column, etc. that aren't
present on the page's table.

What makes this even more confusing is that the XML table contains MORE
information than is presented on the page, such as "Maturity Date".

What I'm really looking for is a way to access the .csv file, so I doubt
that reading info from the webpage will be sufficient seeing as it seems to
be displaying different data.

--Andrew