[R] pdf indifferent to lwd after some small number< 1 (e.g. 0.18)

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 21:10:25 CEST 2010

Chuen Tan <tcs76.geo <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> To plot a figure, I used lwd=0.18 in the function lines() to plot
> very fine lines. However, using png() or
> pdf() to save the figure, it appears that lwd has no effect on
>  pdf() beyond some small number (e.g. 0.18) and
> the lines looks much thicker than png(). Setting lwd<0.18
> does not make the lines any finer in pdf(). I also
> tried specifying the argument lwd in par() instead and still faced
> the same problem.

  This bug has been fixed in the development version of R: see
<http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/doc/html/NEWS.html> and search for "lwd"

  For a Mac, you can get the development version from
http://r.research.att.com/ .

  Your PNG issue may (?) be that you don't have X11 available on
your machine -- see the MacOS R FAQ.