[R] qqline error: Error in sort.list(x, partial = unique(c(lo, hi))) : 'x' must be atomic for 'sort.list' Have you called 'sort' on a list?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Aug 6 22:13:47 CEST 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 4:03 PM, Benjamin Caldwell wrote:

> Woops, that should read
> e.g.
> >> qqnorm.lme(modelincrF)
> Error: could not find function "qqnorm.lme"

You said you were getting expected results with:

qqnorm(modelincrF)

I was pointing out that the R methods dispatching was actually
applying the function "qqnorm.lme" function to that model object and
that all of the parameter options should be available, in particular
the line drawing options that can be specified for parameter abline. I
was _not_ suggesting that you call the function in the manner that you
did. I _was_ suggesting that you read the correct help page.  Try the
examples in the help page for qqnorm.lme  and notice how the examples
call it.

?methods

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Benjamin Caldwell <btcaldwell at berkeley.edu
> > wrote:
> Okay, yeah, so he're the deal - nlme is loaded, did the
> library(nlme) thing no problem. When I run
>  >??qqnorm.lme

It's:
?qqnorm.lme  # just one "?"

> the file comes up fine. But, if I try to use the function, I get an
> error like the package isn't loaded
>  e.g.
> >qqnorm.gls(modelincrF)
> Error: could not find function "qqnorm.gls"
>

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:24 AM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net
> > wrote:
>
> On Aug 6, 2010, at 1:47 PM, Benjamin Caldwell wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm modeling using lme in the nlme package. qqnorm makes plots just
> find,
> but when I try to add a line with qqline, I get the following error:
> "Error in sort.list(x, partial = unique(c(lo, hi))) :
>  'x' must be atomic for 'sort.list'
> Have you called 'sort' on a list?"
>
> For example
> modelincr10<-lme(lruin~can.pos.num, data=rwushi30, random=(~1|
> site/transect/plot),na.action=na.omit)
> summary(modelincr10)
> qqnorm(modelincr10, main="qqnorm res10")
> qqline(modelincr10)
> Error in sort.list(x, partial = unique(c(lo, hi))) :
>  'x' must be atomic for 'sort.list'
> Have you called 'sort' on a list?
>
> There is no lme methof for qqline.
>
> Have you read the help page for the qqnorm.lme function?
>
> ?qqnorm.lme
>
> I am guessing that you did not realize it was a completely different
> function that qqnorm.default.
>
> --
> David Winsemius, MD
> West Hartford, CT