[R] Problem with installing a package in R!

Peter Dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 08:51:20 CEST 2010

gagea wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I am having problem with installing some packages in R in Ubuntu like
> "ISwR". Bellow is the outcome. Anybody can help me to solve this problem.
> Thanks a lot and sorry if it is very simple question.
>

> install.packages("ISwr")

...ISwR..., I presume.

> trying URL 'http://probability.ca/cran/src/contrib/ISwR_2.0-5.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 157441 bytes (153 Kb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 153 Kb
>
> ERROR: failed to lock directory
> ‘/home/ubuntu/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.9’ for modifying

> Try removing ‘/home/ubuntu/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.9/00LOCK’

Did you try

rm -rf /home/ubuntu/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.9/00LOCK

?

The lock dir is there to prevent two processes from messing with the
same files at the same time, but can remain if an installation
terminates prematurely.

Do you have the appropriate permissions? It ia not clear to me whether
that is supposed to be a user-level library or a system one. Is your
user name "ubuntu"? (And is ubuntu really still shipping 2.9.x?)

--
Peter Dalgaard
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com