[R] Two questions on R and cairo/Cairo

r-help at byrman.demon.nl r-help at byrman.demon.nl
Mon Aug 9 16:01:27 CEST 2010

  On a headless Linux server running R 2.9.2 I would like to enable
support for cairo, but capabilities("cairo") keeps on giving me FALSE.
Is it possible what I am trying to do or can this only be achieved at R
build time? I do not have administrative rights on this server.

After compiling cairo-1.8.10 and its dependencies from source in my home
directory, I finally managed to install the Cairo package (capital C).
Although capabilities("cairo") still gives me FALSE, I am now able to
produce graphics. Apart from convenience, is there any difference
between using built-in support for cairo or using the Cairo package?

Carsten