[R] Pie Chart in map

LCOG1 jroll at lcog.org
Mon Aug 9 19:04:50 CEST 2010

Hey R'rs,
    So im sick of dealing with ESRI products and am looking to stream line a
process i now use GIS to do using R.  I have made a lot of maps using R but
have not yet seen a map that puts pie charts within the map to help
represent data like the attachment.
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n2318816/template1.bmp

I found Tanimura et al. work "Proportional Symbol Mapping in R", but after a
discussion with one of the authors i have learned that the function is out
of date and would require a great deal of reworking.  I also found hexbinpie
on the R graphics gallery that i could incorporate.

Before i go through the process of rewriting or out right creation of a
process to replicate my GIS results i was hoping to make sure there wasnt
something out there i could use to start or use altogether.  Or perhaps a
set of functions that already exists that i havent thought to use.

Thanks for the insights everyone.

JR