[R] Changing downloaded source code into a package

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 19:29:54 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:22 AM, JH <dealing_with_doors at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am wanting to change some lines of code in the R package named "nlme"
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/nlme/index.html
> To do this I have downloaded the Package source named nlme_3.1-96.tar.gz,
> opened up the file and changed the text documents within the folder named R,
> specifically the cor.Struct.txt file.
> I now want to know how can I use this modified nlme_3.1-96.tar.gz file in R
> 2.10. How do I convert this source code into a package?
>

> I have looked on the internet and tried using cmd.exe  then the code
> Rmcd.exe INSTALL -1 ~/nlme_3.1-96.tar.gz
> I end up getting the message "The system can't find the specified path",
> when I have the file in the directory that Rmcd.exe is in.

Assuming you have installed Rtools and have the R bin directory and
the Rtools bin directory on your path

cd to.wherever.your.tar.gz.file.is.located
Rcmd INSTALL nlme_3.1-9.96.tar.gz

Alternately, at http://batchfiles.googlecode.com is a file Rcmd.bat
that you can call which will find Rtools and R in the registry and
then run Rcmd.exe so you don't have to add anything to your path.  In
that case you just place Rcmd.bat somewhere on your existing path and
don't have to change your path at all.