[R] p-values with pvclust

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Aug 10 18:20:13 CEST 2010

I don't know much about pvclust itself, but you might consider the technique in this paper:

     Buja, A., Cook, D. Hofmann, H., Lawrence, M. Lee, E.-K., Swayne,
     D.F and Wickham, H. (2009) Statistical Inference for exploratory
     data analysis and model diagnostics Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 2009
     367, 4361-4383 doi: 10.1098/rsta.2009.0120

You just need to understand your null hypothesis enough to be able to simulate data from the null (possibly permuting original data, or generating data from a distribution similar to your data but without clusters).

The vis.test function in the TeachingDemos package helps with an implementation of the test (you will still need to write some of your own code though).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center