[R] problem with Bitmap

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 11 10:22:53 CEST 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Bill.Venables at csiro.au wrote:

> The types of bitmap available depend on the ghostscript you have
> installed.  Have you checked that yours handles jpeg?

That's true, but bitmap() is failing in its check of the available
types.

As so very often, we lack the 'at a minimum' information requested in
the posting guide.   Run the equivalent on your OS of 'gs -help' to
see what is going on: the problem result from bitmap() being unable to
parse the output of that command.   Probably the ghostscript
installation is broken, but it could just be that this is a version
that we've not seen before.