[R] Setting R_Interactive

Jeroen Ooms jeroenooms at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 14:24:01 CEST 2010

We're using Rserve as a back-end in our application. A problem that we
experienced is that the Rserve connection gets stuck when R is asking for
some kind of user interaction. For example, when executing an
'install.packages' command for the first time without specifying the repos
argument, R will prompt a list to specify a mirror, and does not return. To
solve this, we need to set R to non-interactive (see ?interactive), but it's
hard to find out how.

Jeffrey Horner has been so kind to write a little piece of c code that sets
the C level global variable
R_Interactive (see package 'interactivity' on cran), but I was wondering if
there is an easier way to start R in non interactive mode.