[R] cacheSweave / pgfSweave driver for package vignette

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 11:30:13 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 5:01 AM, baptiste auguie
<baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> I wish to use a specific driver to process an sweave document in the
> inst/doc directory of a package. Specifically, I would like to use
> either cacheSweave or pgfSweave to speed up the creation of the
> vignette which requires lengthy computations. The same request would
> also apply to the highlight driver, to provide syntax highlighting of
> R chunks.
>
> In "writing R extensions" I see that during R CMD BUILD Sweave is run
> first, then optionally a makefile can be used to process any other
> files. It doesn't seem to leave room for a choice of Sweave engine, as
> far as I understand. One option I am thinking of is to change the
> extension of the source file to something like .Rnw2 so that Sweave
> ignores it altogether, and then use the appropriate command in a
> makefile.
>
> I have no experience in writing makefiles, so I'm hoping someone would
> already have solved this issue and could provide some advice.

If its just a matter of running the vignette offline then the Ryacas
package uses an approach which does not require a special driver and
is simple enough that it does not really require make files.  See
Ryacas.Rnw in the source:
http://code.google.com/p/ryacas/source/browse/#svn/trunk/inst/doc