[R] Dealing with data

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Aug 13 19:34:15 CEST 2010

R/S does all of that automatically for you, you do not need to manually create the indicator variables.

If you do something like:

> fit <- lm( Sepal.Width ~ Species, data=iris, x=TRUE)

Then look at the matrix actually used:

> fit$x

Or the output:

> summary(fit)

You will see that Species was automatically converted into indicator variables and those were used in the regression.

If you really need the indicator variables yourself, look at the model.matrix function, e.g.:

> model.matrix( ~Species, data=iris )

Or

> model.matrix( ~Species - 1, data=iris )

If you really want 1 for A, 2 for B, etc. then look at as.numeric on a factor variable (e.g. as.numeric(iris$Species) ).