[R] merge function in R?

fishkbob fishkbob at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 01:01:19 CEST 2010

I too think I worded it incorrectly...

so the second two columns of the matrix are the start and end of an interval
however, because some of the intervals overlap, I want to limit the number
of intervals I have to deal with.

So therefore,
(5     10)    should merge with    (7     18)   making    (5     18)
and then (5    18)   should merge with (16    20)   giving   (5    20)
whereas  (1     4) has no overlap with any other interval and is therefore
left on its own

Ideal output would just be a collapsing of the matrix
sample   start     end
#              5       20
#              1        4

I got this to work using unique(c(5:10,7:18,16:20,1:4)) which gives me a
c(1:4,5:20)
However, I have to do this on a very large dataset and the numbers are more
like
c(100542:100782,598322:598821,...)

any help would be appreciated
thanks