[R] what is scaling in plot

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Aug 14 14:25:46 CEST 2010

In an ordination such as this, you have two sets of scores; i) one
pertaining to the (dis)similarity of your samples in terms of species
composition, and ii) one pertaining to the species and which species
co-occur. You can't display both sets of information and retain the
meaning of the scores on the one plot. Scaling controls what relationships
are preserved (focussing on sites or species etc). Gabriel (forget the
citation now but is was in Biometrika) suggests that scaling 3 (symmetric
scaling) is optimal and to be preferred.

There is a discussion of the various scalings in the Design Decision
vignette that you should read. If this is too complex, then perhaps start
with Jan Leps and Petr Smilauer's book "Multivariate analysis of
ecological data using Canoco", 2003, Cambridge University Press.

HTH

Gavin