[R] Paired t-tests

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Aug 15 21:48:00 CEST 2010

On Aug 15, 2010, at 3:31 PM, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Marc Schwartz wrote:
>> On Aug 15, 2010, at 9:05 AM, R Help wrote:
>>
>>> Hello List,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to do a paired t-test, and I'm wondering if it's
>>> consistent
>>> with equations.  I have a dataset that has a response and two
>>> treatments (here's an example):
>>>
>>>  ID trt order          resp
>>> 17  1   0     1  0.0037513592
>>> 18  2   0     1  0.0118723051
>>> 19  4   0     1  0.0002610251
>>> 20  5   0     1 -0.0077951450
>>> 21  6   0     1  0.0022339952
>>> 22  7   0     2  0.0235195453
>>>
>>> The subjects were randomized and assigned to receive either the
>>> treatment or the placebo first, then the other.  I know I'll
>>> eventually have to move on to a GLM or something that incorporates
>>> the
>>> order, but for now I wanted to start with a simple t.test.  My
>>> problem
>>> is that, if I get the responses into two vectors x and y (sorted by
>>> ID) and do a t.test, and then compare that to a formula t.test, they
>>> aren't the same.

>>> 	Paired t-test
>>>
>>> data:  x and y
>>> t = -0.3492, df = 15, p-value = 0.7318
>>> alternative hypothesis: true difference in means is not equal to 0
>>> 95 percent confidence interval:
>>> -0.010446921  0.007505966
>>> sample estimates:
>>> mean of the differences
>>>          -0.001470477

Since neither resp or trt would be in dat1[[3]] wouldn't the fact that
no error was reported imply that either dat1 had been attached (and we
were not informed of hthat prior attach()-ment or that resp and trt
are also object names besides being column names inside dat1?

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT