[R] Random Number Generators and Sample

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Aug 16 10:31:23 CEST 2010

On 16-Aug-10 07:35:58, Linda Eaton wrote:
> I am trying to get documentation about the random number generator
> used in "sample". The help for sample does not mention it. Can
> anyone point me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks

The place the "read all about it" is

  ?RNG

Agreed that ?sample gives no hint. ?rnorm does mention it, runif leads
to it indirectly (via ?rnorm), rpois gives no hint, nor ?rbinom,
and so on. There may be a case for a uniform approach to documentation
of RNG methods in the various functions which generate random outcomes.
Simply "See also ?RNG" in every case might be enough!

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 16-Aug-10                                       Time: 09:31:20