[R] AIC for model selection in Package â??MuMInâ??

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 04:00:47 CEST 2010

   That's really too big a question to do justice to in a mailing list
reply. If possible, consult a local expert.

   To keep it very short, I would say:
  (1) when you are interested in maximizing expected predictive accuracy
(rather than testing hypotheses);
  (2) when the parameters in the models are commensurate (e.g., be
careful comparing models with and without interaction terms). When in doubt,
figure out whether the averaged parameter can be interpreted as a
concrete prediction about some experimental or observational contrast.