[R] About scan

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 06:10:51 CEST 2010

Hi Stephen,

Maybe it is just me, but I am not clear what your question is.  scan()
is a function with a variety of arguments.  When these are not
explicitly named, they go in order.  So, scan(1, 2, 3, 4, 5) is
equivalent to scan(file = 1, what = 2, nmax = 3, n = 4, sep = 5),
which is clearly nonsense.  If you are wondering what a use of scan
is, here is an example where input to the console is scan()ed and
assigned to 'x'.

> x <- scan()
1: 1 2 3 4 5
6:
Read 5 items
[1] 1 2 3 4 5

HTH,

Josh

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Stephen Liu <satimis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I followed an online example to input data;
>
>> x = scan(1,2,3,4,5)
> Error in scan(1, 2, 3, 4, 5) :
>  either specify 'nmax' or 'n', but not both.
>
> It can't work.
>

>> x = c(1,2,3,4,5)
> [1] 1 2 3 4 5
>
> It works.