[R] error with bitmap, please help

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 16:39:46 CEST 2010

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, kayj wrote:

> Hi All
>

> I still have a problem with “bitmap” function in R, I have downloaded
> ghostscript 8.71 and added the path to the executable to the path
> environment variable, by going to the control panel , system, advanced
> system settings, added C:\Program Files(x86)\gs\gs8.71\bin to the path
> variable. I have also added the R executable path to the path variable. I
> have a 64 bit computer with windows 7 as an operating system. When running
> the following script, I get an error in the system
>
> df=read.table("sample.txt",sep="\t")
> bitmap(file="sample.JPG",type="jpeg",width=5,height=5,res=300,pointsize=10)
> Error in system(paste(gsexe, "-help"), intern = TRUE, invisible = TRUE) :
>  gswin32c.exe not found
> plot(df$V1,df$V2,pch=20,col="blue")
>
> is there anything that I am missing??

As it says it is not found, so you need to check your paths: do
Sys.getenv("PATH") inside R.

Note that the help page mentions two environment variables you can
set to the path to the gswin32c.exe, which is designed to make this
easier for you to set.

Please note that it is getting increasingly important to supply 'at a
minimum' information asked for in the posting guide.  This is the
second time that you have not done so, and would-be helpers are put
off by the lack of basic information.  For example, here we don't know
the version or build of R (your OS may be 64-bit, is your R)?