[R] Can't read/write to _nonfi

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Aug 19 22:31:46 CEST 2010

Min,

For S+-specific questions the S-news mailing list
would be better.
   s-news at wubios.wustl.edu

Unlike R, S+ stores its data objects in files, one file
per object.  The ___nonfi (___nonfiles) file contains
a mapping for object names to file names, for those
objects whose names cannot be unambiguously used as
file names.

The copies of the error messages look garbled to me.
They are definitely missing some characters and I don't
see the "Can't access to ..." message in the S+ source
code, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right version
  > Can' access to file _nonfi
  > Can't create file for assigning "last.dump"
  > ("C:/WORKSPACE/DUNG/.Data/___bd40"
What version of S+ are you using and what are the precise
error messages?

Do you own the C:/WORKSPACE/DUNG directory or is
it someone else's?  If it is someone else's and it
is sufficiently protected, you may not be able write
files into it.  Can you create any other data objects?
E.g., can you successfully execute the following?
    qaz <- 1:10
    print(qaz)
and
    Q.A.Z. <- log(qaz)