[R] csv vs. data frame

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 22:42:40 CEST 2010

On 19/08/2010 4:15 PM, Bert Gunter wrote:
> Do not post such questions to this list.
> Read an Introduction to R first, please.

I think that's a bit harsh:  Bruce is trying to help R users, but
doesn't necessarily want to learn to be one.
> -- Bert
>
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Bruce Como <bruce at lmcsoftware.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am neither a statistician nor a user of R.  I am a programmer trying to
> > provide my users (both statisticians and R users) data in a format that
> > works best for them.
> >
> > What is a data frame?  Is source data easier to work with in this format or
> > a csv file?  Or yet another format?

A data frame is an internal structure in R.  If you produce data in a
csv file, it is easy for an R user to import it into a data frame.  Take
the usual care
with quotes, commas, etc. within strings in the file.

Duncan Murdoch