[R] meta-analysis in R

Jeremy Miles jeremy.miles at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 23:42:22 CEST 2010

> I am trying to explore the citation bias by perfroming meta-analysis. I need to plot a forest plot > on some other proportions other than the usual effect size OR,RR, RD.

For meta-analsysis, it does not matter what the effect size is
(usually). One calculates the effect size, and one calculates the
standard error of that effect size.  The effect size and standard
error are then fed into the meta-analysis procedure.    You tell us
what you don't want to do , but you don't tell us what you want to do.
 However, if you can calculate the statistic, you can use it.

I like the metafor package, which uses escalc() to calculate effect
sizes (although you can get your effect sizes from anywhere) and then
rma() to meta-analyze them.  It will do things like forest plots.

> I still do not have any idea after searching google and reading relevant books. Can anyone
> kindly help? Thank you in advance.

We can try, but tell us what you want to do.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Miles
Psychology Research Methods Wiki: www.researchmethodsinpsychology.com