[R] R reports

Paul paul at paulhurley.co.uk
Sat Aug 21 14:54:54 CEST 2010

Donald Paul Winston wrote:
> Sweave and LaTex is way to much overhead to deal with. There should be a
> built in standard report() function analogous to plot().
>
> Something like the following is necessary if you want real people to take R
> seriously:
>
> report(data=<aDataFrame>, vars=<vectorOfColumnNames>,
> label=<vectorOfColumnNames>, by=<vectorOfColumnNames>,
> sum=vectorOfColumnNames>, title=<vectorOfStrings>, footer=<vectorOfStrings>,
> pageBy=<vectorOfColumnNames>, sumBy=<vectorOfColumnNames>,
> filename=<string>, fileType=<text|csv|pdf..>...etc)
>
> Did I say "real" people?  I've been Palinized.

I'm sorry if I don't understand what you want, but if you only want to
create the text for this 'report' and be able to produce tables then for
R I would suggest you look at plyr, which can do this quite easily, with
minimal code (??plyr) (and can do many other, similar tasks as well).

If you want these tables in a pdf document, then you also need a little
Sweave/xtable knowledge (??Sweave and ??xtable), a little LaTex
knowledge and a working LaTex environment.

I don't think learning some basic R, plyr and a little Sweave/LaTex is
particularly hard, maybe a few days work, and from what I understand
from SAS colleagues, less than the equivalent tasks would take in that
environment, but that's just my opinion.....

Regards,

Paul.