[R] which one give clear picture-pdf, jpg or tiff?

S Ellison S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk
Mon Aug 23 14:19:42 CEST 2010

I use savePlot() with type="emf" (remember to include the right file
extension - although savePlot will use the type as default extension, it
will only do so if there are no '.'s in the filename, so filenames like
'../plots/aplot' won't get the extension automatically. Really should
have made that check an extension check!).

.emf format is a native format for windows vector graphics on a windows
system, so Word imports .emf files directly.

I would not use the older .wmf format, though; scaling seems to have
gone badly awry for .wmf from R. No idea why as I assume R uses native
windows calls to generate them.

Like others, I would not recommend jpg, png or tiff for import into
word-processing softeare; you either get oversized files or poor
reproduction and scaling.

Steve E