[R] chisq.test on samples of different lengths

Marino Taussig De Bodonia, Agnese agnese.marino09 at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 16:12:16 CEST 2010

Hello,

I am trying to see whether there has been a significant difference in whether people experienced damages from wildlife in two different years. I therefore have two columns:

year 1:
yes
no
no
no
yes
yes
no

year 2:
no
yes
no
yes

I wanted to do a chisq.test, but if I enter it this way:

chisq.test(year1, year2)

I get the error saying the columns are two different lengths. So then I tried doing:

damages<-matrix(c(3,4, 2,2), ncol=2, dimnames=list(answer=c("yes", "no"), year=c("year1", year2)))
chisq.test(damages)

Does that make sense? Should I maybe be doing a different test instead?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Agnese