[R] Secant Method Convergence (Method to replicate Excel XIRR/IRR)

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Wed Aug 25 23:24:06 CEST 2010

Another approach is to use `uniroot' to find the zero of the NPV function:

npv <- function (cashFlow, irr) {
	n <- length(cashFlow)
	sum(cashFlow / (1 + irr)^{0: (n-1)})
	}

uniroot(f=npv, interval=c(0,1), cashFlow=cashFlow)

However, there may be situations where there are no real zeros or there are
multiple zeros of the NPV function.

Ravi.