[R] Again: wget parameters

[Ricardo Rodriguez] Your XEN ICT Team webmaster at xen.net
Fri Aug 27 00:27:12 CEST 2010

Hi Christian!

Sorry for being late.

David Winsemius wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2010, at 2:58 PM, christiaan pauw wrote:
>
>> Hi Ricardo and everybody
>>
>> In this old post to rhelp you say that the problem was solved but not
>> what
>> the sollution was. I have the same problem now. I want to read a Excel
>> file
>> from a google site that has restricted access so I need to give a
>> username
>> and password at some point. I could not find an example or a help file
>> that
>> shows how this can be done. You post is one of few but it does not
>> contain
>> the answer
>
> wget is not in R.
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wget

I've regained access to this issue. In facts, it has never been solved!
My old message with a solved in it talked about my error sending HTML
formated messages, not about how to deal with this issue. Sorry for not
being clear!

I invested a lot of time looking for a solution but every alternative
fails at one end: XWiki doesn't accept username:password pairs in the
URL yet and I don't know how to pass these parameters to the
download.file R function.

What keeps been truth is that this, for instance, works at command line
(in my case, MacOSX terminal):

wget --http-user=DummyDummy --http-password=dummy --auth-no-challenge
--output-document=RG2.txt
http://xepecnet.environmentalchange.net/xwiki/bin/view/ICT/RGraphicSample02?xpage=plain

And saves RG2.txt in your current directory. But I don't now yet how to
pass parameters like --http-user to method wget in R download.file.

Perhaps you could try this syntax to see if Google accept it.

OK, wget is not in R, but it could be used within R download.file
function, so I would think that this is a possible place to ask about
this topic. Thanks!!!

Greetings,

Ricardo

--