[R] interpreting date-related error message

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 27 21:46:57 CEST 2010

Toby -
     Since dat$doy is just a number, the default S3 method
for format is used, where the second argument is the trim
parameter.  I suspect you are confusing format (which is for
output) with strptime (which is for input).
      For example,

strptime(dat$doy,'%j')

will assume that the dates are in the current year, and
return a POSIXlt object.  Alternatively, you could pass
an origin to as.Date:

as.Date(dat$doy,origin='2009-12-31')

to get a similar Date object.

                                          - Phil