[R] lost in vegan package

eva epitta at upatras.gr
Mon Aug 30 15:53:44 CEST 2010

Hi R Helpers,
I'm still new to R and i experience many difficulties..I'm using vegan
package (R version 2.11) trying to calculate checkerboard units for each
species pair of a matrix. I've prepared the function:

pair.checker=function (dataset) {designdist (dataset,
method="c("(A-J)x(B-J)", terms ="binary", abcd=FALSE)}

to use with function oecosimu as follows:

oecosimu(dataset, pair.checker, "tswap", nsimul=5000, burnin=0, thin=thin,
statistic="pair.checker")

It seemed to work but the output did not include each species pair name. I
don't know what to do. First column was all NAs. I copied and pasted the
results of the console and named each species pair in Excel by hand. But
then I got this really big matrix with 3828 possible species pairs. The
console couldn't show all posssible species pairs even after resetting the
max.print option. I've tried saving the output as:

 save(out, file="d:/eva", ascii=TRUE)

but I first got a blank txt file and then when I retried the method I got

Error in file (file, "wb"):cannot open the connection.

I can't use write.table either (I got the message that the output is class
dist...) .

Thank's in advance

Eva