[R] online documentation only?

Mon Aug 30 22:02:02 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Bob McCall <rcmcll at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I recently installed R 2.11.1 for windows. It seems that there is only
> online help now. Is there any way to get the local docs? I don't have
> always-on high-speed internet.

You don't have to be connected to the internet. You just need an R
session running.

You'll noticed on first invocation, R will start some web server, eg:

R> ?sort
starting httpd help server ... done

And your web browser will open to:

http://127.0.0.1:XXXXX/library/base/html/sort.html

Where XXXX is some random port that the current R process has some
type of minimal web server running that is used to display the help
files ... this assumes that you have options(help_type='html'), or
some such.

No external internet connection necessary.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou