[R] First and second derivatives of raw observations

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Aug 31 00:52:31 CEST 2010

On Aug 30, 2010, at 6:40 PM, mtorabi at math.carleton.ca wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I was asked to send the following question:
>
> We have some (raw) observations and would like to get the first and
> second
> derivatives in R. Any comment would be appreciated.

 From the time of Newton, the quick and dirty (but often very
informative) path to first and second derivatives has been via first
and second differences. That, of course, assumes that the intervals
between these "raw" observation are equal, which might or might not be
a sensible assumption given the impossibly vague description of the
problem.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT