[R] First and second derivatives of raw observations

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Tue Aug 31 01:31:03 CEST 2010

        There is a strong argument for fitting something like splines
and then differentiating the spline fit.

       I trust you won't object to my immodest recommendation of the
"fda" package and book by Ramsay, Hooker and Graves (2009) Functional
Data Analysis with R and Matlab (Springer).  The "fda" package includes
scripts to work all but one of the 76 examples in the book.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer Graves