[R] Making plots in big scatterplot matrix large enough to see

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Tue Aug 31 17:05:12 CEST 2010

Jocelyn,
   In a partial answer to your question, try setting gap=0 in the
calls to pairs.  This will make the plots closer together.

  (You might also find pairs.panels in the psych package useful,  --
it implements one of the help examples for pairs to report the
histogram on the diagonal and reports the correlations in the upper
off diagonal).

On a Mac, I just tried setting
quartz(width=30, height=30)   #make a big graphics window

#then
library(psych)
my.data <- sim.item(24)  #create 500 cases of 24 variables
pairs.panels(my.data, gap=0)  #the gap =0 makes the plots right next
to each other

#And then save the graphics window as a pdf.  I can open this in a
pdf  and scroll around pretty easily.

Bill