[R] About plot graphs

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Aug 31 21:38:46 CEST 2010

Stephen,

Gavin replied to the specific questions, so I won't repeat what he said.  But I think that you really need to understand the search path and scoping better.

Remember that computers are stupid, they do exactly what you tell them to do (see fortune(226)).  R is such a amazing program and so much thought has been put into R figuring out the right thing to do in so many cases that it is easy for us to forget how stupid the computer is.

The rule for finding a data object in R when it is not explicitly stated where to look (package::data.object) is to use the first one it finds along the search path.  You can use the search() function to show the search path.  If you do that after running your code below you will see that singer comes before women on the search path.  You can use the conflicts() function to show where this is most likely to cause problems (height will be highlighted as one of the variables with a conflict) and the find function will show you where copies are (and which is first), try find('height') and find('weight').

So with women attached, then singer attached (and no height or weight in the global environment), any reference to height finds the first height variable in singer, but the first weight variable is found in women.  So it is better to not rely on this behavior and don't use attach.  Using the with function says look for both in women, which does the correct thing).

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org