[R] Can't Destroy Dim Names

clangkamp christian.langkamp at gmxpro.de
Wed Dec 1 01:04:34 CET 2010

Dear David
To confirm, your method worked. I am not allowed to divulge the original
data (financial data), but here comes another set.

Test_DF<-data.frame(Figure=c("A","B","A","B"), Code=c("C", "C", "D", "D"),
No=c(1,2,3.5,4))
?data.frame
View(Test_DF)
str(Test_DF)
Test_DF_m<-melt(Test_DF, measure="No")
View(Test_DF_m)
Test_DF_c<-cast(Test_DF_m, Figure~Code)
str(Test_DF_c)

Basically, after the casting the variables the naming appears. If one then
goes forth with this item, and does some operations on them (in my case with
the zoo package), and ends up with the same cube, but just chr as row/column
names but actually the same ones and then tries to merge them (abind). The
set above doesn't replicate strangely everything my set does, ind adds a lot
more attributes even though I go through the same commands.

So the bottom line is where I would expect a simple 2 by 2 matrix with row
and column names after the melt and cast, it is a much more complex object
and I think tearing off all the rest might be a good thing before
proceeding. This is the background to the question.

-----
Christian Langkamp
christian.langkamp-at-gmxpro.de