[R] Troubles using postscript(family = "ComputerModern")

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Dec 1 14:47:20 CET 2010

    > On Nov 29, 2010, at 9:00 AM, pilchat wrote:

    >> Hi guys,
    >>
    >> to make it easier, here is a simple case with the same issues. I use
    >> the short function below to make the attached PS file.
    >>
    >> Things to fix:
    >>
    >> -) the greek letter "lambda" is not printed, while "mu" is printed
    >> (see the plot command)
    >> -) the annotation inside the plot area: the "+-" symbol and "(K)"
    >> overlap with the substitute for tmed and tstd respectively (see the
    >> text command). Also, how can I set the number of decimal digits for
    >> tmed and tstd? (option(digits=4) does not work )

    > I would have thought one would do any formatting (of digits) outside
    > the text( ...substitute(...),...) setting.

    >> Moreover, I'd like to make the characters thicker. Is there any way?

    > Which characters? There is a bold() option within plotmath.

    >> Finally, once I close the R session without saving it (I answer "n"
    >> when quitting), the content of the ps file is erased.

    > Now _that_ is weird. A file should have been created in your default
    > directory and closing R should not have made it go away.

    >> Do I miss something in writing the function?

    > Perhaps. (But you certainly missed something in writing the question.)
    > When I remove the family="ComputerModern" from the postscript call, I
    > start seeing lambda. ,,,, And the other spacing weirness also
    > resolves. I am on a Mac and ComputerModern is not one of the
    > pdfFonts() on my machine. The list of available fonts varies widely
    > across various OSes and devices about which you have given us no clues.

Well, but indeed the OP is right: there's a severe problem at
least in some cases, including my own (Linux, Fedora 13)
*iff*  "ComputerModern" is used.

I'm too time-squeezed currently to give much more details
but there *is* bug here, either in R's implementation / usage of
the "ComputerModern" family or outside R in the font (metric?)
files used or possibly even the postscript viewer (but I doubt
the last one).

Martin Maeechler, ETH Zurich