[R] Sequence for repeated numbers

Jonathan P Daily jdaily at usgs.gov
Wed Dec 1 17:38:26 CET 2010

Try this:

> ord <- order(grade)
> ID <- Id[ord]
> grade <- grade[ord]
> sequence <- unlist(sapply(table(grade), FUN = function(x) 1:x),
use.names = F)

And as a general tip, it is much easier to work with related values like
ID and grade if they are in a data frame. Such as:

> dat <- data.frame(ID, grade)
> dat <- dat[order(grade),]

Jonathan P. Daily
Technician - USGS Leetown Science Center
11649 Leetown Road
Kearneysville WV, 25430
(304) 724-4480
"Is the room still a room when its empty? Does the room,
 the thing itself have purpose? Or do we, what's the word... imbue it."
     - Jubal Early, Firefly