[R] default arguments and '...' in a function

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 22:03:41 CET 2010

Antonio,

You need to compare the names of list(...) with the arguments you wish to
check. Here's one way to do so (note that I replaced c with d, because c
is a function):

f <- function(a, ...) {
	argnames <- names(list(...))
	# check whether b is an argument
	if(!("b" %in% argnames)) {
		b <- 1
	}
	# check whether d is an argument
	if(!("d" %in% argnames)) {
		d <- 1
	}
        # return NA for b and d if specified, but don't set a value
	list(a=a, b=ifelse(exists("b"), b, NA), d=ifelse(exists("d"), d, NA),
args=list(...))
}
> f(a=1)
$a