[R] procrustes results affected by order of sites in input file

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 2 13:02:07 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 14:19 -0600, Christine Dolph wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am using a Procrustes analysis to compare two NMDS ordinations for the
> same set of sites. One ordination is based on fish data, the other is based
> on invertebrate data. Ordinations were derived using metaMDS() from the
> {vegan} library as follows:
>
> fish.mds<-metaMDS(fish.data, distance="bray", k=3, trymax=100,
> wascores=TRUE, trace=TRUE, zero="add")
>
> invert.mds<-metaMDS(bugcal.a, distance="bray", k=3, trymax=100,
> wascores=TRUE, trace=TRUE, zero="add"),
>

> where fish.data and invert.data are site-by-abundance matrices for fish and
> invertebrates, respectively.
>
> I have then used protest() to test the significance between the two
> ordinations:

Simple things first:

You did have a set.seed() call before the protest() call didn't you? In
fact, I'd probably put set.seed() calls before the two metaMDS() calls
as well.

The ordering should have no impact at all, but the random starts in
metaMDS() and the random permutations in protest() will vary from run to
run unless you set the random seed to some known value.

--
 Dr. Gavin Simpson             [t] +44 (0)20 7679 0522