[R] Non-visible functions: merge.data.table

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 04:24:41 CET 2010

It would help if you gave some specifics of what you are trying to do.
 What is the structure of the data.tables you are merging, how long
did it take, have you compared the times between the base merge and
the data.table merge?  How fast is "fast"?  What are your
expectations?  Can you provide a script that will create some sample
data?  It is hard to answer without knowing some of this information.

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Ryan Garner
<ryan.steven.garner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've downloaded the "data.table" package from CRAN and R-Forge and still
> can't utilize merge.data.table for faster merges. How do I make this
> function visible?
>
>> install.packages("data.table",repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
> trying URL
> 'http://R-Forge.R-project.org/src/contrib/data.table_1.5.1.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 616492 bytes (602 Kb)
> opened URL
>
>> library(data.table)
>> methods(merge)
> [1] merge.data.frame  merge.data.table* merge.default
>
>   Non-visible functions are asterisked
>

> --

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru