[R] read ESRI file geodatabase feature classes

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:37:13 CET 2010

No there is no open software to read ESRI "file geodatabases" (the .gdb ones).

If it's not .gdb but .mdb ("personal geodatabase", built on Microsoft
Access database) then you can read it with generic tools (such as
RODBC package) or with an appropriate build of GDAL as part of the
rgdal package.

Some discussion here:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/910/file-geodatabase-open-api-when

http://www.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2007-November/014712.html