[R] waldtest and nested models - poolability (parameter stability)

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Mon Dec 6 21:38:07 CET 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Roberto Patuelli wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm trying to use waldtest to test poolability (parameter stability) between
> two logistic regressions. Because I need to use robust standard errors (using
> sandwich), I cannot use anova. anova has no problems running the test, but
> waldtest does, indipendently of specifying vcov or not. waldtest does not
> appear to see that my models are nested.

Yes. Because waldtest() needs to figure out which contrasts to apply to
go from the unrestricted model to the restricted model. The current
implementation can only do so by looking at the names of the coefficients.
It assumes that unrestricted model has all coefficients from the
restricted model plus some more (which are set to zero under the null
hypothesis).

When you use interactions (as you do below), this only works if you use
the *-coding but not the /-coding.

In pseudo code:

fm0  <- glm(y ~ x, family = binomial)
fm1a <- glm(y ~ a * x, family = binomial)
fm1b <- glm(y ~ a / x, family = binomial)

The restricted model is fm0 and the unrestricted model is fm1a/fm1b. Both
are equivalent in terms of fitted values. With waldtest() you can compare

   waldtest(fm0, fm1a)

but

   waldtest(fm0, fm1b)

fails because the models do not fulfill the restriction above. So, only
for the inference with waldtest() you need to compute fm1a as well. If
significant, you can go on and interpret fm1b.

Hope that helps,